Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Minister's Annual Report for 2013

You know a dream is like a river Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle Just to stay between the shores...
(from The River by Garth Brooks)

The river of time has pulled us along in its current for another year. And now it is time to reflect on the shoreline we have seen before we look ahead to see where the current will take us next.

Much of that shoreline is similar to the shoreline we see every year. Rivers are like that. We have celebrated together, worried together, grieved together, and grown together. We have shared hopes and dreams, we have been there when the community needed us, we have done our best to be the people God calls us to be. But were there significant landmarks along the shore this year?

Earlier in January a colleague of mine posted in a FB group for Below Average Ministers:
“As you look back at 2012 are there accomplishments or positive milestones in ministry that you are grateful for...? How about sharing something good from the year gone by? Such sharing would be good for the spirit.”
and it strikes me that this is a good question for an Annual Report.

There were two milestones that came to my mind to respond to that post. One was the lift. The lift that has been in the plans since the CE wing was built 25 years ago. The lift which has already made such a big difference in how we are together as a community. That seems an obvious one. But there was another, one that I would suggest is just as important. That is the use of our basement by the HIV North Drop in. While this was first set in motion during the fall of 2011, it really took root this past year, and was added to with a youth group that meets on Thursday evenings. These are things that are seemingly outside the “regular” ministry of the church. And yet I think they make a big statement about who we are and our commitment to the communities of which we are a part.

And now I wonder what shorelines we will see as the river continues to pull us forward. Well we don't really know that do we? But your Council has set some goals. We want to build our sense of community and we want to become more visible and better known in the wider community of Grande Prairie. Both of theses will only happen if we all work towards them. For my part, to help with the first goal, I want to visit with more of you. A time for coffee and conversation (although the coffee part is optional). And so I am shamelessly looking for invitations. Give me a call and we can set up a time!

There's bound to be rough waters And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain I can make it through them all...
Yes, I will sail my vessel 'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination If I never try
So I will sail my vessel 'Til the river runs dry
(from The River by Garth Brooks)

May God cruise with us down the river. And may we remain committed to the journey!

Gord

No comments:

Post a Comment